Friday, October 23, 2009

Ménage á Jewell: Housing Policy Questions More Than Alcohol

  Raspberry burst, pomegranate punch, oracious orange, or tangy original – whatever the flavor may be, I am a sucker (my latest fave is green apple bite). I learned this “lingo” during my semester in the swingers compound at Harlaxton College in Grantham, England. Many students who choose to study abroad do not explore all “housing” possibilities and find that variety of company a major plus.  Each karaoke night or costume party in the Bistro (the on-campus pub) became an excuse for students, faculty and staff alike to knock back a few pints and have a good time “enjoying each other’s company.”
  I never drank while I was overseas, but this didn’t stop my various phases of physical discovery. I made a promise to myself a long time ago that I would wait until I was of legal age before I drank, but explored my sexual identity starting at a Hanson concert in fifth grade. . . Mmmmmmmm-bop!
  I felt a bit of a letdown after all the European “hype” when I entered a monogamous relationship.  William Jewell College had a lot to do with my disappointment. When I returned, I was informed that I would be required to live on campus for the rest of my college career, thus effectively ending my business as a Craigslist “entrepreneur.” At this point my friends and I were already looking at houses for rent and gathering money for a down payment. I suppose it was a good thing we hadn’t already signed a lease, but I still felt sadness in my senior year would mean no “special time,” including Margarita’s Monday, Wet ‘n’ Wild Wednesdays, or Fist-Full Fridays.  I was devastated.
  But more than that, I was confused. How could the College expect every 21-and-over student to live on campus while not being allowed to drink in the privacy of their own rooms (let alone the paper-thin walls that are less than soundproofed)? It felt logical that a change in the housing policy should be accompanied by a change in the alcohol policy.
  Luckily I was not alone in my concerns. Members of last year’s Student Experience Task Force and Student Senate also noticed this discrepancy and began to push for change. They presented their suggestions to the Board of Trustees in May and, although it did not pass due to certain state and federal restrictions, it was the beginning of something progressive at the College. The fact that the Board would even consider it says a lot about “great thinking,” living what we “learn” and living responsibly in “community.”
  A story was printed two weeks ago in an issue of the Hilltop Monitor that covered an incident with “rambunctious behavior”  in Jones Hall.  The story did not cover just another on-campus alcohol bust, but rather an incident that involved underage first-years, a leather-cast swing and a newly designated senior-only residence hall. These factors considered, I have to admit that as a co-host of the event, I was disappointed that the Monitor had to cover it without including photos, videos or schematics. The College has not fully caught up with students’ need to live “independently,” but that does not mean that the students should not push their boundaries. The purpose of proposing a new policy is to show that students are indeed responsible enough to experiment on campus, in the privacy of their own rooms. It is imperative that we prove to the Trustees that we can handle a new freedom like this without violating federal Constitutionality.
  Since May, a new “Task Force” has compiled a new and improved version of the policy proposal. They are presenting it to the Board of Trustees this week, and I could not be more excited (legally). While I do realize that a new policy may not be implemented during my time at William Jewell, I am positive that it will eventually happen. Until then, I will dream of the day that I can visit campus as an alumna and “enjoy the company” of students, faculty and staff in William Jewell’s very own bistro.


–Deliciously Deviant Diva

11 comments:

  1. See the Original Story on Page 2 @ http://thehilltopmonitor.com/volumes/volume24/issue06/issue06.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Just a couple clarifications, though. The stuff presented to Trustees last May was never meant to be voted on, but more or less a precursor to more work to come. The Trustee meeting this past week was intended to present again to the Trustees what has been improved from the initial questions posed in May. Finally, in January, the intention is for the Trustees to finally vote, Yes or No, to accept a new Alcohol Policy on campus.

    Otherwise, really well written story! It made me laugh and was still informative. It was great to hear the other side of that Jones Hall story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad my editorial inspired you to write your own view..

    -Alison Ward

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is neither funny, nor intelligent, nor insightful. If you're going to dedicate yourself to a blog about unmasking the absurdities at Jewell, at least take a little pride in expressing yourself. This post and those that follow prove nothing to me but the lack of the writer’s credibility as an observant and perceptive person. No wonder this is written anonymously, for it would be embarrassing to have a name attached.

    -Emily Nixon

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Respond:

    Allison Ward: You never fail to inspire.

    Anonymous 1: I'm very sorry, no one is forcing you to read.

    Emily Nixon:
    1. I never claim to be any of the things you state I am not. Humor is subjective. I never state that I will "unmask Jewell's absurdities" but instead just ask you to take a look at and laugh at them.
    2. Your dislike of these posts does not stop the other readers from enjoying them. Please see my comment to the anonymous person above you.
    3. My blog ≠ MSNBC, Fox News, or even The Hilltop Monitor, I'm not reporting news here, credibility is irrelevant. My observation and perception abilities is not lessened by the fact that you don't agree.
    4. This is just an initial offering, keep reading, the posts are going to diversify in content quite quickly. Maybe then there will be something to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah incite-ful indeed... what a joke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous 1 (11/18): Thanks!

    Anonymous 2 (11/19): If you would form your concern into a coherent argument, I could address it and respond. But on an Alex Hart-ish, "Informational note: there is a difference between joke and satire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In response to Alex, Tyler, me, Tim, etc did believe (somewhat naive-ly) that they would hold some kind of vote on our motion last year when we presented it. So other people holding that same view is very rational.

    -Corey Husak

    ReplyDelete